“granite gallops—the immortal horsemen of Srirangam’s Sesharaya
Mandapam.”
அரங்கனார்க்கு ஆட்செய்யாதே அளியத்தேன் அயர்க்கின்றேனே. !!!
The holy Thiruvarangam is an island, a kingdom of Thiruvaranga
Chelvan – the prime temple for Srivaishnavaites. As we happily have darshan of
Thiruvarangar, Ranganayaki thayar, Chakkarathazhwar and .. .. and come for
darshan of Emperumanar Ramanujar - there
is architectural beauty of 1000 kaal mandapam and Sesharaya Mandapam.
The Horsemen of Srirangam stand eternally poised between stillness
and motion. Horses rear, warriors strike, attendants grapple and fierce
creatures resist—all within a single mass of granite. The sculptor has not
merely portrayed a battle; he has arrested its most dramatic instant and made
it endure for centuries. Here, stone does not remain still—it gallops!
A magnificent rearing horse, its warrior firmly holding the
reins and weapon, springs forth from a monolithic pillar of the Sesharaya
Mandapam at Srirangam, overlooking the famous
Vellai gopuram. Even the smaller attendants and the creature beneath the
horse are rendered with remarkable vitality. Behind this warm-toned sculptural
drama rises the pristine white gopuram—a beautiful juxtaposition of the
temple’s architecture and artistry.
Centuries have passed, yet the horse appears ready to leap, the
warrior ready to strike, and the entire battle ready to resume! The
Sesharaya Mandapam—also called the Seshagiriraya Mandapam—is one of the
sculptural marvels of the Sri Ranganathaswamy Temple at Srirangam. Situated
near the Thousand-Pillared Hall in the fourth prakaram, it is generally
attributed to the late Vijayanagara–Nayaka period, around the sixteenth
century.
Its celebrated pillars portray rearing horses carrying armed
warriors, accompanied by attendants and locked in dramatic combat with wild or
mythical creatures. These are not merely decorative carvings: the raised
forelegs, taut reins, flying ornaments and poised weapons create an astonishing
impression of movement in unyielding granite. The northern portion of the
mandapam is noted for about forty such leaping animal-and-rider compositions
carved into monolithic pillars.
Srirangam suffered two devastating incursions from the Delhi
Sultanate in the early fourteenth century. The first is associated with Malik
Kafur’s southern campaign of 1311. The far more destructive second invasion,
remembered in Sri Vaishnava tradition, occurred around 1323, when an army
associated with Ulugh Khan—the son of Sultan Ghiyasuddin Tughluq and the future
Muhammad bin Tughluq—entered the Tamil country.
According to the temple chronicle Kōyil Oḻugu and later Guruparamparā
traditions, the army attacked Srirangam when a large number of devotees had
assembled there. Priests, scholars and Sri Vaishnavas remained within the
temple and many were slaughtered. Tradition remembers the calamity as
“Pannīrāyiravar Muḍi Tiruttiya Paṇḍri Aḻagiyān”—the invasion in which twelve thousand heads were
severed. The figure of 12,000 belongs primarily to temple tradition; while the
killing and devastation are historically accepted, the exact number cannot be
independently verified from contemporary Sultanate records.
The invasion was therefore not merely the plunder of a wealthy
temple; it was aimed at shattering entire sacred community—its worship,
scholarship, administration and living traditions. Namperumal remained away
from Srirangam for decades, returning only after Vijayanagara power
re-established security in the region, traditionally dated to 1371.
Mamandur Veeravalli Srinivasan Sampathkumar
24.8.2026

No comments:
Post a Comment