To search this blog

Tuesday, September 28, 2021

Purattasi Thiruvathirai 2021 - இராமானுசன் சீலமல்லால் .. .. ஒன்றறியேன் !!

For Srivaishnavaites, life is blissful – today 29th Sept 2021 (Purattasi 13)  is the masa thirunakshathiram of our great Acaryar Swami Ramanujar.  ‘Ananthah sarasi dhere  Ramye  Bhoothapurivare’ – on the bank of Ananthasaras the temple pushkarini, is the temple of Sri Adhi Kesavar.   Boothapuri, better known now as Sri Perumpudur is the most divine place for us –  the place where our Greatest Acharyar “Emperumanaar, Bashyakarar” the reincarnation of Aadi Sesha and Sri Lakshmanar was born,  in the year 1017  to Kesava Somayaji and Gandhimathi.    




கிருதயுகத்தில் ஸ்ரீ ரங்கநாதருக்கு ஆதிசேஷனாகவும், திரேதாயுகத்தில் ஸ்ரீராமபிரானின் தம்பி இலக்குவனாகவும் துவாபரயுகத்தில் கிருஷ்ணனின் மூத்த சகோதரர் பலராமனாகவும் கலியுகத்தில் உலகைத் திருத்தி பக்தி வழியிலும் சரணாகதி மார்க்கத்தையும் காட்டி உலகை உய்விக்க ஸ்ரீராமானுஜராக ஸ்ரீபெரும்புதூரில் அவதரித்தார். 

எம்பெருமானாரிடத்திலே  மிகுந்த ப்ரேமையுடன் பணிவிடைகள் செய்து வந்தவர்களில் திருவரங்கத்து அமுதனார் முக்கியமானவர்.  பூர்வத்தில் பெரிய கோயில் நம்பி என்ற திருநாமம் பூண்டிருந்த திருவரங்கத்து அமுதனார் கோயில் காப்பாளராகவும் புரோஹிதராயும் இருந்தார்.  அமுதனார் எம்பெருமானார் விஷயமாக இராமாநுச நூற்றந்தாதி எனும் 108  அற்புத பாசுரங்களை இயற்றி நம்பெருமாளுக்கும் எம்பெருமானார்க்கும் சமர்ப்பித்தார். உபவீததாரிகளுக்கு காயத்ரிபோலே ப்ரபன்னர்களுக்கு இது என்று மாமுனிகள் திருவுள்ளம், ஆகையால் இது ப்ரபன்ன ஸாவித்ரி என்று அழைக்கப் படுகிறது.  இராமானுசரின் பணிகள், பெருமைகள், வைணவத் தொண்டு ஆகியனவும், தனக்கும் இராமானுஜருக்குமான தொடர்பின் வலிமையையும் திருவரங்கத்து அமுதனார் எடுத்துரைத்துள்ளார்.  




எம்பெருமானரிடத்திலே அளப்பரிய பக்தியும் பாசமும் கொண்ட திருவரங்கத்து அமுதனார் அருளிச்செய்த ப்ரபந்ந காயத்திரி எனும் 'இராமானுஜ நூற்றந்தாதியின்" இரண்டாவது பாசுரம். 

கள்ளார் பொழில்  தென்னரங்கன் கமலப் பதங்கள் .. … … 

திருவரங்கம் எனும் அற்புத திவ்யக்ஷேத்திரம், தேன் நிறைந்த சோலைகளை உடையது.  திருக்காவேரியின் நடுவே பள்ளிகொண்ட பெருமாளாகிய நம்பெருமாளின்   தாமரை போன்ற திருவடிகளை,  தமதுநெஞ்சிலே வையாத மனிதர்களை விட்டொழித்து, திருமங்கை மன்னனுடைய திருவடிகளையே  என்றும்  விட்டு நீங்காத பக்தியையுடையரான ஸ்வாமி  எம்பெருமானாருடைய  சிறந்த சீலகுணத்தைத் தவிர வேறொன்றையும்  எனது நெஞ்சானது நினைக்க மாட்டாது.  இவ்வாறாக, எனக்கு உற்ற பேர்இயல்வு,  சிறந்தஸ்வபாவத்திற்கு  ஒரு காரணத்தையும் அறிகின்றிலேன், ஆசார்யானது அனுகூல நற்கருணையைத் தவிர !

கள்ளார் பொழில்  தென்னரங்கன் கமலப் பதங்கள்  நெஞ்சிற்*

கொள்ளா மனிசரை நீங்கிக் குறையல் பிரானடிக்கீழ்*

விள்ளாத அன்பன்   இராமானுசன்மிக்க சீலமல்லால்*

உள்ளாதென்னெஞ்சு   ஒன்றறியேன் எனக்குற்ற பேரியல்வே. 

It is indeed a good fortune – Thiruvarangathu Amuthanar in his Iramanusa Noorranthathi says – “I cannot understand this good fortune. My heart does not think of anything other than the extreme benevolence of Ramanuja.  He gave up the company of men who do not contemplate the lotus feet of the nectar-groves-surrounded-Arangam lord, and only sought the feet of the kuraiyalur king. Tirumangai Alvar”. 

To all of us bonded to the feet of our greatest Acaryar Swami Ramanujar, it will always be good things – whatever be the tough times, let us fall at the holy feet of our Acaryar Swami Emperumanar and through Him reach the glorious Lord of Thiruvarangam.   Life has changed for the Globe – 2020 & 2021 have been far different – nothing prevents us in reminiscing and celebrating the Birth of Swami Ramanujar    Here are some photos of Swami Ramanujar purappadu in pallakku on  8th May 2016. 

ஆழ்வார் எம்பெருமானார் ஜீயர் திருவடிகளே சரணம். 

 
adiyen Srinivasa dhasan
Mamandur Veeravalli Srinivasan Sampathkumar
29.9.2021.
 
பாசுர விளக்கம் : ஸ்ரீ .வே. பிரதிவாதி பயங்கரம் அண்ணங்கராச்சார் சுவாமி - ஒப்பற்ற ஸ்ரீவைணவ கலைக்களஞ்சியம் திராவிட வேதா இணையம். 












Monday, September 27, 2021

Thiruppavithrothsavam for Sri Srinivasa Perumal at Sathyavijaya Nagaram, Arni

ஓய்வை விளைவிக்கின்ற கிழத்தனமென்ன, வாழ்க்கையில் கஷ்டங்கள் என்ன ? - மரணம் என்ன ! -  மனித வாழ்க்கையின் அவலங்களை கேள்விப்பட்டு இருக்கிறோம், கண்ணுற்று இருக்கிறோம்.  மனித வாழ்க்கையே “நமக்கு, இது நேராது” என்ற நம்பிக்கையில் காலம் கழிப்பது தானே ! ~ எனினும் ' கொரோனா நோய்" போன்ற வியாதிகள் பரவும்போது - மனம் பயந்து என்ன செய்வது என்பது அறியாமல் தளர்வது மனித இயல்பே அல்லவா !

செடிபோலே செழித்த பாபங்களைத் தீர்க்கும் மருந்தானவன்: திருவேங்கடவன். 'கலியுகத்தில் கண் கண்ட தெய்வமான திருவேங்கடமுடையான் திருமலை திருப்பதியிலும் - அங்கே செல்ல இயலாதவர்களுக்கு, அவரவர் தமதமது  இடங்களுக்கு அருகில் அனுபவிக்க பல்வேறு திருக்கோவில்களில் அற்புத வரப்ரஸாதியாய்  சேவை சாதிக்கின்றான்.    இதோ இங்கே நம் கலியன் திருமங்கை மன்னனின் அற்புத திருமொழி பாசுரம் :  

பாருநீரெரிகாற்றினொடு ஆகாசமும்  இவையாயினான்,

பேருமாயிரம் பேசநின்ற பிறப்பிலி பெருகுமிடம்,

காரும் வார்ப்பனி நீள்விசும்பிடைச் சோருமாமுகில்  தோய்தர,

சேரும் வார்ப்பொழில்  சூழ் எழில்  திருவேங்கடம்  அடைநெஞ்சமே.

 

பஞ்ச பூதங்கள் எனப்படும் :  நீர்;  நெருப்பு;  காற்று;  நிலம்; , ஆகாயம்  எனும் பஞ்சபூத ஸ்வரூபியானவனும், ஸஹஸ்ர நாமங்களாலும் பிரதிபாதிக்கப்படும்  பரிசுத்தமான, கருமை பயனான,  பிறத்தல் இல்லாதவனுமான எம்பெருமான் ஸ்ரீமன் நாரணன்  - வளருகிற இடமானதும், பெரிய ஆகாசத்தினின்றும் மழைநீரும் மிக்க பனித்துளியும் பெய்யப்பெற்றதும், வானத்திலுள்ள  காள மேகங்கள் வந்து படியும்படியாக  பொருத்தமான  உயர்ந்து ஓங்கி  மணம் கமழும் ரம்மியமான  சோலைகளாலே  சூழப்பெற்றதும்  எழில் பொங்கும் அழகினையுடைய திருவேங்கடத்தை சென்று அடை என்று தம் நெஞ்சிற்கு ஆணையிடுகிறார் கலியன்.   திருமலையோ, திருவரங்கமோ, திருவல்லிக்கேணியோ வேறு எந்த திவ்யதேசமோ .. .. நம் எம்பெருமான் ஸ்ரீமன் நாரணன் தன பக்தர்களை காப்பாற்ற எப்போதும் காத்திருக்கிறான்.  அவன் திருவடி நீழலில் சேர்வதே நமக்கு எல்லா பிணிகளுக்கு மருந்து.

Life in a divyadesam offers wondrous opportunities of His darshan and our ancestors categorically said that one should not live in a place where there is no temple – today some beautiful photos of Emperuman and some historical details of temple – Sree Padmavathi Thayar samedha Sree Srinivasa Perumal Thirukkovil at Sathya Vijaya Nagaram, Arni Taluk, Thiruvannamalai district (thanks to kainkaya Sri Babu Battar swami and photos of Thirumalai Vinjamoor Venkatesh swami) 






History is always   interesting  (not when read in school !) ~ and perhaps what was read in school curriculam was a miniscule part that too a tinted version ..   we read about Battles of Panipat, Plassey and more but not much on South India .. .. 

In the summer of 1751, Chanda Sahib left Arcot to besiege Muhammed Ali Khan Wallajah at Trichinopoly. This placed the British at Madras in a precarious position, since the latter was the last of their major allies in the area. The British company's military was also in some disarray, as Stringer Lawrence had returned to England in 1750 over a pay dispute, and much of the company was apathetic about the dangers the expanding French influence and declining British influence posed. Clive, who accompanied the force as commissary, was outraged at the decision to abandon the siege. Clive occupied Arcot without firing a shot. The fort was a rambling structure with a dilapidated wall a mile long.

Not a history post but one about the beautiful Temple and Emperuman at Sathiyavijayanagaram, a town in Tiruvanamalai district.   Arni is famous home to silk weaving, spinning mills and agricultural industries. Famous Arni silk and a paddy variety named Arni Ponni, known for its rich aroma originates at Arni.  By some accounts the name   Arni came from the Tamil word Ar+Ani which means, “beautified by Ar tree”, Ar being the Indian laburnum. The town existed during the period of Rashtrakutas and Cholas, and came under Hoysala rule and Vijayanagara Empire. It was Maratha King Shahji, father of Veer Shivaji, who handed over Arni along with 192 villages around it to his Commander Vedhaji Bhaskara Punt in 1640 AD. During the reign of Bhaskara Punt, Veer Shivaji had visited Arni on his way to Tanjore (Thanjavur). The town with all of its 192 villages, 211 sq. miles in all, formed the Arni Jagir, thence ruled over by the Arni Jagirdars from the Punt family. The Jagir was abolished under the Zamindar Abolition Bill, 1948, when the annual revenue of the Jagir was about Rs. 2.5 lakhs per year!

Sri Satya Vijaya Teertharu was a pontiff of Uttaradhi Mutt. The Jagirdar of Arani, Venkatanatha Rao Sahib, who was the descendant of Pant, was an ardent devotee of this saint. The Jagirdar constructed the mutt and Moola Brindavan for this saint and also renamed the village after the saint. Later, the King shifted from Arani and built a magnificent palace near the Brindavan and settled down here.

Sathya Vijana Nagaram – a small town now was once the mighty capital of Arni Jagirs lying on the banks of river Kamandala Naganadi, established by Venkatanatha Rao after the Moola Uttrathi Mutt Sri Sathyavijaya Theerthavaru.  In its glory, it was hemming with horses, men and wealth !   - arched windows, lime polished walls, high columns, enormous corridors, stucco work of lions, paintings,  and more.   

The Battle of Arnee  took place on 3.12.1751 during the Second Carnatic War. A British-led force under the command of Robert Clive defeated and routed a much larger Franco-Indian force under the command of Raza Sahib. The loss of the capital Arcot significantly damaged the prestige of Chandra Sahib and his French allies. Less than three weeks after Arcot, Clive encountered the Franco-Indian force near the small town of Arni, about twenty miles south of Arcot. Raza Sahib's army, having retired to nearby Vellore, had been reinforced by the French. On the other hand, Clive's forces had been supplemented by the Marathas under Morari Rao, who had been convinced that the price offered for their participation was high enough. Clive’s artillery fire proved more effective and forced the French vanguard to move along the causeway with their artillery, making them easy targets for Clive’s guns. Clive's victory at Arni was distinct from that at Arcot of resisting a siege

Now with the efforts of Sri Babu Battar and others, festivals are being conducted in a grand manner at Sathyavijayanagaram   Sri Padmavathi Thayar samedha Sri Srinivasa Perumal thirukkovil.  This temple is 5 kms off Arni in Seyyar Arni route. Thiruppavithrothsavam is to be held from tomorrow. Here are some photos of pushpa yagam and Thiruppavithra uthsavam at this temple  taken on earlier occasions.

adiyen Srinivasa dhasan
Mamandur Veeravalli Srinivasan Sampathkumar
27th Sept 2021. 

PS 1 :  Arni is famous for its silk sarees and Arni Sari has GI tag too.  

2.  More on Arni Jagirs -  the 10th Jagirdar, also Srinivasa Rao Sahib –  created an endowment for the prize at Presidency College  in 1877 -  Gold Medal for outstanding students in Physics and Chemistry.  The medal reads “Presented in loyal Commemoration of the visit of HRH Prince of Wales to Madras by the Jagir of Arni”. Two Nobel Prize recipients have received the Arni Gold Medal – Sir C.V. Raman in 1905, and Dr. S. Chandrasekar in 1930. Somewhere around 1936, this practice was discontinued.

3. The Jagirdars had a lavish life style – at one time they owned 182 cars, all imported!  

4.  The "Moola Brindavan" of His Holiness Sri Sathyavijaya Swamiji is situated on the banks of Kamandala Naga Nadi in Sathavijayanagaram village ( where the Arni palace is located)  - Sri swamiji was illustrious descendent in the pontifical line of Sri Utharadi Mutt, 23rd in the order since Sri Sri Madhvacharya

Biblio : www . arnijagir.com  &  srisatyavijaya . org 


















Sunday, September 26, 2021

Malainadu Divyadesam – Thiruvalla: திருவல்லவாழ் உறையும், கோனாரை !!

Malainattu Divyadesam – Thiruvalla

“தொல்லருள் நல்வினையால் சொலக்கூடுங்கொல்?” என்றே சுவாமி நம்மாழ்வார் ஆசைப்பட்ட திவ்யதேசம் அறிவீரோ ! - இந்த மலைநாட்டு திவ்யதேசத்தை திருமங்கை மன்னனும் சுவாமி நம்மாழ்வாருமாக 22 பாசுரங்களால் மங்களாசாசனம் செய்துள்ளனர். 

a beautiful aerial view pic of temple as tweeted by jaypanicker

Angadipuram is a major suburb of Perinthalmanna town, in Malappuram District  was the capital of the powerful medieval kingdom of Valluvanad. Angadipuram is also known for Angadipuram Laterite, a notified go-heritage monument.  Valluvanad was an independent chiefdom in present-day central Kerala that held power from the early 12th century to the end of the 18th century. Prior to that, and since the late 10th century, Valluvanad existed as an autonomous chiefdom within the kingdom of the Chera Perumals. The disintegration of the Chera Perumal kingdom in early 12th century led to the independence of the various autonomous chiefdoms of the kingdom, Valluvanad being one of them.

The earliest mention of the term "Valluvanad" as a political entity, from the 9th and early 10th century, are references to a region within the Ay kingdom in the south Kerala, then a vassal to the Pandya kingdom.    Valluvanad was ruled by a Samanthan Nair clan known as Vellodis, similar to the Eradis of neighbouring Eranad and Nedungadis of Nedunganad. The rulers of Valluvanad were known by the title Valluvakonathiri/Vellattiri.  Valluvanad was a  region between the knolls of Pandalur Hills (a hill that separates old Eranad Taluk from Valluvanad Taluk, located in Malappuram-Manjeri area) and the seashore of Ponnani.  The country covered the Bharathapuzha river basin in the south to the Pandalur Hills in the north.  In its maximal extend, its northern boundary was Thrikkulam at Tirurangadi in Tirurangadi Taluk and southern border was Edathara near Palakkad. A larger portion of what is presently called Eranad region was originally under the Kingdom of Valluvanad before the conquest of Zamorin of Calicut.  The chiefdom was disestablished in 1793 with the British East India Company taking over its management directly, and the hereditary ruling family settling for a pension arrangement.







எர்ணாகுளம் (கொச்சி) - கொல்லம் இரயில் மார்க்கத்தில், திருவல்லா என இரயில் நிலையம் உள்ளது. சபரிமலை செல்லும் பக்தர்கள் இங்கு அல்லது, செங்கணாச்சேரி அல்லது செங்கண்ணுர் இரயில் நிலையங்களில் இறங்கி - ஆரமுள  எனும் திருவாறன்விளை திவ்யதேசத்தில் வணங்கி எருமேலி, பம்பா நோக்கி தங்கள் யாத்திரையை தொடர்வர்கள். 

It is a famous divaydesam ‘Thiruvalla’ which according to traditions, comes  from the word "Valla Vaay", named after the river Manimala which was known as Vallayār in ancient times. Before roads were developed, Thiruvalla village developed at the mouth of river Vallayar, connected far and near places through waterways, hence known as Valla vāi(vāy in old Malayalam means mouth of river).  Later the Thamizh Prefix 'Thiru (means holy /revered) attached to it and became Thiruvalla. At the time of intermigration to south India it became one of the 64 Brahmin settlements. They correlated the name to "Sree Vallabha" which means Husband of Lakshmi Devi. Sree Vallabha is the presiding deity of the Thiruvalla Temple and Shreevallabha Puram (Land of Vallabhan) became Thiruvalla.  Thiruvalla as per the Sanskrit work "श्रीवल्लभ क्षेत्र माहात्म्यम्"   (śrīvallabha kētra māhātmya) is "श्रीवल्लभपुरम्"  (śrīvallabhapura) dating back to 10th century or earlier.

Thiruvalla, is now a  Municipality in Kerala and also the headquarters of the Taluk of same name located in Pathanamthitta district in the State of Kerala, India. The town is spread over an area of 27.94 km . It lies on the banks of the river Pamba and river Manimala, and is a land-locked region surrounded by irrigating streams and rivers. Thiruvalla is regarded as the "Land of Non resident Indians ".Thiruvalla is hailed as  Commercial Capital Of Central Travancore due its vibrant economic activity.  Thiruvalla is  famous for the dance of Kathakali, which is hosted in the Sreevallabha temple almost every day in a year. The Nedumpuram Palace near Thiruvalla belongs to Valluvanad Royal family, who were originally the rulers of Angadippuram.

Thiruvalla was also an important commercial centre with the Niranam port in olden days, which is described by Pliny as "Nelcynda”.  Up to the beginning of the 10th century CE, Ays were the dominant powers in Kerala. The Ay kings ruled from Thiruvalla in the North to Nagercoil in the South. Ptolemy mentions this as from Baris (Pamba River) to Cape Comorin "Aioi" (Kanyakumari)  By 12th century, the Thiruvalla copper plates, which are voluminous records that centre around the social life around the temple.  The society Thiruvalla temple had a large Vedic learning school (actually   modern university) ("Thiruvalla salai"), which was one of the foremost learning centres  in Kerala. The Thiruvalla salai was one of the richest among the Vedic schools of Kerala, and according to the copper plates, the pupils of the school were fed with 350 nazhis of paddy every day,  which shows the vastness of its student population. Thiruvalla held a very eminent position among the spiritual and educational centres in ancient times. The Sri Vallabha Temple was one of the wealthiest temples of ancient Kerala, as is evident from the inscriptions in the plates. The part of the temple land required to 'feed the Brahmins' required 2.1 million litres of rice seeds, and for the "maintenance of the eternal lamps" required more than 340,000 litres of paddy seed capacity.  Due to the length, the antiquity and the nature of the language, Thiruvalla copper plates form the "First book in Malayalam", according to Prof. Elamkulam.

திருவல்லா  திருத்தலத்தில் மூலவர் கோலப்பிரான், திருவாழ்மாறவன், ஸ்ரீவல்லபன் - நின்ற திருக்கோலத்தில் கண்ணபிரான்.  இக்கோவிலில் ஸ்ரீசுதர்சன சக்ரம் ஸ்தாபிக்கப்பட்டுள்ளது.  துவஜஸ்தம்பம் பொன்தகடு வேயப்பட்டுள்ளது.  கண்டாகர்ணன் எனும் சிவபக்தன், வேறு திருநாமங்கள் எதுவும் தன காதில் வீழ்திருக்க பெண்மணிகளை அணிந்து, அது சப்திக்கும்படி தவம் செய்து மோக்ஷம் அடைந்தது இங்கே என தல வரலாறு. மிக அற்புதமான வரப்ரசாதியான பெருமாள்.





Sreevallabha Temple is a  beautiful ancient temple dedicated to Lord Sreevallabhan.  Located in Thiruvalla city, this ocean of orthodoxy is well known for its architectural grandeur and unique customs, [ stone-wooden carvings and mural paintings inside the temple. It is the Vallabha kshethram mentioned in Garuda Purana and Matsya Purana.  Kathakali is played daily in the temple as an offering, pushing it to the top in India in terms of places where Kathakali is staged in largest number of days per year.  Emperuman Sriman Narayana appeared here as Sreevallabhan for sage Durvasa  and Khandakarnan.  Pleased by prayers of an old Brahmin lady Sreevallabhan incarnated as a brahmachari and killed the demon Thokalaasuran. Later the deity of Sreevallabhan worshipped by Lakshmi and Krishna has been installed in the temple in 59 BC.  From then till date, the temple follows its own worship protocol.   Sages  Durvasa and Saptarishi visit this  temple every midnight for worshipping the Lord.   The Thiruvalla inscriptions say the temple for Sudarshana Chakra was built in 2998 BC . The temple for Sudarshana Chakra was built  by Sreedevi Antherjanam of Sankramangalathu Illam and it was elaborately rebuilt by Queen Cherumthevi in 59 BC.  Veda, Vedanta, Tarka, Mimamsa, Jyotisha, Ayurveda, and Kalaripayattu were taught there. The temple also owned an ayurvedic hospital with facilities to admit and treat 100 patients at a time.  Famous Sanskrit poet Daṇḍin (7th century AD) of Kanchi  mentioned the temple in his works. The first ever prose work in Malayalam is the Thiruvalla inscriptions dated to the first half of the 12th century AD  which was obtained from the temple during 1915. The Unnuneeli Sandesam of the 13th century AD highlighted the grandeur, beauty, serenity, fame and status of the temple during its time.  Other works that glorified the temple are Sreevallabha Ksethra Mahathmyam of the 10th century AD, Sreevallabha Charitham kavyam, Thukalasura Vadham Kathakali, Sreevallabha Charitham Kathakali, Sreevallabha Vijayam Kathakali, Sreevallabha Suprabhatham, Sreevallabha Karnamritha Sthothram, Yajanavali Sangrham etc.

From the date built, the temple was under control of thiruvalla pattillathil pottimar (Brahmins of ten families) till 1752-1753. Sreevallabha Temple emerged out as a major spiritual destination for devotees all over India centuries before. It had 15 major priests (melsanthi) and 180 sub-ordinate priests  (keezhsanthi) all the time and another 108 for only daily noon pooja. Temple provided staying and food facilities for all visitors, students, teachers etc. and also used to conduct annadanam (serving food to the poor) daily. Naivedyam of Lord Sreevallabhan for a single time used to be made from 45 para (one para can feed appx 100 persons) rice.   It also had thousands of acres of land too which are lost now !  During 1752-1753 Marthanda Varma of Travancore captured the temple from Pathillathil Pottimar  and it is believed that Ramayyan Dalawa looted whole temple assets to Thiruvananthapuram.   

Built in the silent and picturesque land on the banks of Manimala river, this icon of Kerala temple architecture, covers an area of 8.5 acres and ranks first among the temples of old Travancore state in terms of area inside the compound wall.  The temple is surrounded on all sides by 12 feet, tall 566 feet long, 4.5 feet thick red granite compound walls with a two-storied gopuram (gate tower) on each side.  This huge wall was built in 57 BC and is believed that it was completed in a single night by bhoothagana (servants) of The Lord. Outside eastern wall a big pond covering 1.5 acres is seen in north-eastern direction with a copper flagstaff on its southern bank. A platform for performing kathakali is seen just in front of the eastern entrance. Inside the wall pradakshina veethi or outer circumambulation path is seen with four small aankottils (places where the deity is taken out and kept for worship inside temple wall) and a big one on south-eastern corner. South-east to this an oottupura or dining hall is seen which is built in all other temples only on northern side and this is unique to Sreevallabha temple only.  Smaller shrines for lord Ganapathy and Ayyappan and another auditorium are seen in south-western side.  The sacred fig and mango trees beneath which sage Durvasa meditated is found near Ayyappan shrine.  Northern gopuram is closed always and is opened only for Uthra Sreebali festival The temple koothambalam (stage) was destroyed by fire in 1915.[11] The most highlighted construction of the temple is the Garuda dhwaja sthambam or flagstaff of Garuda.   Outside naalambalam, a deepasala (galaxy of bronze lamps) is built on teak wood.   Two namaskara mandapam (prostration building) are built against both doors of Sreekovil (sanctum-sanctorum).  The circular, copper roofed, golden domed sreekovil is adorned with finely etched murals of matsya, kaaliyamardana, kurma, Dakshinamurthy, varaha, venu gopala, maha ganapathy, narasimha, vamana, sudarshana, parashurama, sree rama, Purusha sukta, balarama, sreeKrishna, lakshmi, kalki and garuda in clockwise manner.  Sreekovil has an outer perimeter of 160 feet and has three concentric walls. It enshrines Lord Sreevallabhan facing east and Sudarshana chakra(sathrusamhaaramoorthy) facing west under the same roof.

Sreevallabhan, the main deity is in Ninra thirukolam (standing posture),  bearing a lotus in right hand, chakra in right upper hand, sankha in left upper hand and his left hand kept on his waist (kati hastham). 

இதோ ஸ்வாமி நம்மாழ்வாரின் திருவாய்மொழி பாசுரம் :

மானேய் நோக்குநல்லீர்! வைகலும்  வினையேன்மெலிய,

வானார் வண்கமுகும் மதுமல்லிகையுங்  கமழும்,

தேனார் சோலைகள்சூழ்   திருவல்லவாழ்  உறையும்,

கோனாரை அடியேன்   அடிகூடுவது  என்று கொலோ? 

ஆழ்வார் நாயிகா பாவத்தில் தம் தோழியர்க்கு உரைத்தல்  :  மான் போன்ற நோக்கையுடைய பெண்களே!,  பாவியான நான்  எப்போதும் இளைக்கும்படியாக, ஆகாசத்தையளாவிய அழகிய அழகிய பாக்கு மரங்களும்,  மதுவொழுகுகின்ற மல்லிகை மலர்களும், வாஸிக்கப்பெற்ற  தேன் நிரம்பிய சோலைகளால் சூழப்பட்ட  திருவல்லவாழ் எனும் இந்த அற்புத திவ்யதேசத்திலே  நித்யவாஸம் பண்ணுகிற ஸ்வாமியின் திருவடிகளை அடியேன்   கூடப்பெறுவது என்றைக்கோ? என  வினவுகிறார்.

We were fortunate to have darshan at this beautiful temple in Dec 2018 – by staying in Thiruvalla, one can have darshan of 6 divyadesangal – Thiruvalla, Thiruvaranvilai (Aramula), Vaigal Thiruvanvandur, Kuttanattu Thirupuliyur, Thiruchengunur Thiruchitraru, & Thirukadithanam. Some of the photos here not bearing © Kairavini karaiyinile were taken from the fb pages of the temple.

adiyen Srinivasa dhasan
Mamandur Veeravalli Srinivasan Sampathkumar
26th Sept. 2021.